Mt. Pleasant Public Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
April 15, 2014
Attendees: Laurie Hansen – Library Director, Nancy Walker, Lori Birch, Christy Larsen, Rhonda Shewell –potential board member
Minutes from February Meeting – Approved – motioned by Christy Larsen, seconded by Nancy Walker.
Trustee training attended by Laurie stated that for the recorded minutes the names should be stated by those motioning and seconding.
Rhonda Shewell recommended for a trustee member by Christy Larsen – motioned for approval by Laurie Hansen and seconded by Lori Birch. Rhonda accepted this position.
Laurie will provide training for Rhonda.
• Proposed budget submitted to City last month.
• Mayor Dave Blackham said to submit with every thing we wanted (shoot for the moon). The budget submitted included 8 additional hours that would allow us to open for a total of 40 hours per week.
• Dave Oxman – City Treasurer – researched the retained earnings for the library budget for the last several years. In researching this, they found over $70,000 in retained earnings that are available to us. It was suggested we use this over the next 3 years to open these additional hours.
• What would be the best additional hours to be open? Suggestions of all day on Monday and Saturday or adding hours on Friday. Comments were made that Saurday would be best utilized as the kids wouldn’t have the school. Laurie will get patron input. It may be best to be conservative and only open 4 additional hours. We don’t want to open only to have to close again. We really need to get firm commitments from the city on our funding so that we can feel confident opening more for the patrons.
• Mayor Blackham seems more committed to the library and suggested additional funds to the library not including the ‘retained earnings.
• For the first time the library has back-up toner cartridges on hand. The new printer, copier that was donated to the library is much more efficient on toner use so that allows us a great savings there.
• Testing Room has a computer – Laurie would like to replace this with a new computer with higher graphics capability and current Adobe Photoshop to offer this to the patrons.
• Mayor Blackham said purchases need to be done by the end of April. Laurie will follow up on this and if this is true Laurie will try to pay ahead with book suppliers.
• Laurie is proposing using this year’s CLEF grant for 2 IMACs and the higher end computer for the testing room and Adobe Photoshop. Computers that are to be replaced will be sold – it may need to go through Friends.
• Electronic library items available through the state but the local library has not bought any of these items.
• Work meetings this week with the City on the budget. May be finalized in May then decisions can be made as to hours.
• Current budget – We are over on our computer expenses due to the theft and the 1,000 deductible. The repayment of the funds to the library by the individual responsible is sporadic but we need to cover this from another account now. The computers at the circulation desk need to be replaced. It can be done this fiscal year or next. It was agreed that if we have the money this year in our budget lets transfer additional to cover the replacement of these two computers. Laurie will email us the details on the computers she will put together in the next few days.
State Library Training
• Board meeting should be working on policies at the meetings. We should be discussing a policy each meeting.
• Director should provide talking points to the board to use in our discussions in the community.
• Agenda/Information Packet should be given to the board members before the meeting. This can go out as an email attachment. Lori has trouble receiving attachments but we don’t know how long we will have her. She is involved with Youth City Council and all while trying to build a new home. We appreciate all she does for the board and all the time she has donated to this board.
• Lori Arnoldson was mentioned as a potential member but she does not live in the city. This is a problem as they must own property in the city as taxes from city property fund the library.
• People should be encourage to attend the meeting as a public meeting. Minutes need to be published/posted in three days after the meeting.
• Laurie will be attending a conference with a class on library security. This will help us deal with issues in the future.
• New programs – book club, computer classes, etc. hasn’t gotten off the ground as we didn’t get anyone hired and the current staff have been unable to take this on. They are looking for volunteers.
• Summer reading program preparations are underway. They are planning on 400 kids. They are ahead of schedule.
• A time clock has been installed. There have been issues on time cards and recording hours with Sue. They will not be able to clock in a head of time.
• Action items for next meetings – we will be kept in the loop on the retained earnings and the computer purchases, etc. Laurie will get a package out prior to the next meeting. Laurie will also work on getting the minutes published on line and linked to the libraries website. Laurie will send the information on the computer and CLEF purchases for our approval.
Adjournment motioned at 10:51 by Christy Larsen, seconded by Lori Birch.