Mt. Pleasant Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting April 21, 2015 Called to order by Nancy at 8:38 a.m. Attendees: Laurie Hansen – Library Director, Nancy Walker – board chair, Christy Larsen, Dalene Burch, Rhonda Shewell, . Roll call was taken verbally for recorded minutes. Minutes from March meeting approved as submitted – Motion by Nancy Walker, seconded by Dalene Burch . Ann Deuel was hoping to attend at least the budget portion so we will discuss the follow-up first. Follow – up . • Dalene – Invitation to Amy Mondragon to attend the meeting. — Invitation was extended. We hope she comes. • Nancy was to follow up on the health issue, concern what this might mean but needs to be addressed. – Nancy contacted the county and they suggested the public health department. They have kits – She has contacted Jason Hatch but he has failed to respond. There may have been some absorption in the wall but the biggest thing was the carpet, discoloration. The biggest concern is taking care of the mold issue and any health hazard that may cause. Nancy will continue trying to get some response. • Dalene – follow up on pornography – complaint procedure. —– Laurie provided the form and procedure. Dalene will get together with Laurie and complete this form and we will go forward with this. • Laurie – IT support – wants to meet with Dynamic Integration, — Laurie has been trying to get Sean to respond but he hasn’t. She will call Jeremy right after the meeting. It was suggested that if we continue with Dynamic Integrations that we insist on someone other than Sean. We need the option of telling how we want the hours we are paying for used. City is still talking about changing support – talking to Les Olson Company. Rhonda mentioned that upstairs printer isn’t working. • Laurie needs to get the software – Norton and Microsoft Office Suite – installed. The Microsoft Office Suite purchased was an upgrade – Microsoft Office 2010 needs to be installed first – Sean has provided a disk for this. These have been partially installed – Laurie keeps running into problems with the key being accepted – Laurie has tried to get Sean to help resolve. Norton is mostly done. —-The Microsoft 2010 was a subscription that has expired. This can’t be used as the base platform. We need to go back to Tech Soup for a bridge. Sean should have known this and advised us appropriately. Todd Olson – current Sterling Scholar came in and got Norton installed. • Old Elementary School – there may still be some possibilities of the usage there. Now we are looking at it strictly for a storage area. • Director job parameters – Laurie discussed again with Jane Banks from the city that the time clock for her was not feasible. Time clock must be used. • Employee reviews in process. Laurie has given them forms to fill out. She is doing her part and has meetings with them scheduled for next week. The plan is to get some goals set. • Inventory finished – a lot was cleaned up. • Disc sander/buffer – They are trying to rearrange to have a space and create a work flow to handle these. • Quality Status – 5 items are needed. We are there or almost there on 7 items. Laurie is following up on some items on Interlibrary Loans, website, etc. Dawn’s son Alex is anxious to do work on the website. Callie Miller has a daughter that will be going for Sterling Scholar next year and is getting involved. Laurie is making a list of duties, and items that she can farm out. She will talk with Kathryn Applegarth to see who at Wasatch may help. • Laurie was told that she could get a ladder through the city, she will do this. She will get the table through the budget. Hopefully chair mats will come out of the building budget. She is meeting with Nancy and Dave today to go over the budget. Reports CLEF Grant • There is $6,200 – $500 more than last year. This is being used on collection development and they are focusing on the non-fiction portion of the collection as the other sections get more attention. They are also going through the award winners – Caldecott, Beehive, etc. They are also looking at old banned book lists. Eagle Project • Shelves – Nancy’s son is getting the paperwork signed off on to go ahead. They need to make measurements, etc. They need to be able to move things to measure and then get busy working on it. Dalene mentioned that she has an empty room that could be used for a temporary storage location. They need to get the measurements for bins and then will approach Walmart for a donation. Summer Reading Program • Susan has been busy with taking care of her father this has limited her time with the library and the programs and has put things a bit behind. • Letters will be going out today or tomorrow asking for donations and help. Hopefully the Friends will be available to follow up on this. Friends need to have a membership drive. Laurie will talk to Katrina and Maren. Perhaps the board can help out with this follow up. • Contact the Youth City Council to do the follow up. This could be a great opportunity for them and a good option to get this done. • There will be the kick-off and then 5 sessions followed with the final party with prizes. There is a donation coming from Kohls of some fun things. • There is one on local heroes, super heroes, etc. Library Board/City • Look at library board charter. This is to get clear the relationship between the board and the city. Spending decisions, etc. Dave said it was up to the board on the expenditures. New Business • Christy Larsen’s last meeting on the board. • Mike Ellington comes home from his mission on the 28th and could be here next month. That would be a great addition to the board to have him back. • New secretary – It is helpful to have the agenda ahead of time. Dalane is willing to take on the challenge. Nancy proposed this change, Laurie seconded this. • Dalene will contact Amy Mondragon once again. • Laurie will ask the staff about ideas for additional board members. • Pranks – Some kids flooded the bathroom, several people came together to resolve this issue. This was just to make note of this issue • Laurie will work on writing up something on an R rated movie policy Budget • Current budget was provided showing where we are now with respect to this year’s budget. • Expected balances were reviewed. • Book budget needs to be at least 9% of budget. This is more than covered. • A breakdown of staff hours per day was provided. This feeds in to the budget amount for wages. The whole city got a 3% raise distributed in lump sums in two increments. Now the city will just put it in the wages. The part time staff will also receive this 3% raise. • Budget is at $128,134 this is higher than it has been. Budget includes some funds from retained earnings. We should end this year with excess as we have last year and other years. This should allow us to have the funds for the retained earnings. The CLEF grant is included in collection development. • Budget items descriptions – materials changed to collection development (items checked out by patron), Department Supplies changed to library supplies, Travel changed to travel/training. • It was agreed by the board that the director’s position is a position with benefits. • There is a meeting with Dave Oxman from the City today to go through the proposed budget • The issue of the cost of non-resident cards being lowered to $10. Juan from the state didn’t think this was a good idea and that we should in fact increase this. This was not changed at this point. • Nancy Walker moved that we accept the budget as an initial submission. This was seconded by Christy Larsen. Other items of business Dalane would like us to discuss a way to get funds to get an appreciation gift for the staff at Christmas time. How could we come up with some
money for this? We could contact the Friends of the Library to see if we could get funds for this. We could talk to Kathryn Applegarth for this. Dalene will do this. Laurie would like to apply for funds for tablets – 3 or 4 loaded with games that could entertain the kids while the parents are busy with other things. Parameters would have to be set and decided upon. Dalene would like to set up a board lunch with Christy as a going away luncheon and invite Ann Deuel. We will go, Tuesday May 12th at 12:00 we will meet at Cavalier. Mike will be back and we will invite him Laurie Hansen proposed we adjourn – seconded by Nancy Walker – adjourned at 10:22 a.m. Next meeting will be held on May 19, 2015 at 8:30 a.m.