Mt. Pleasant Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting February 19, 2013 Attendees –Laurie Hanson, Library Director, Vickie Richmond – Chair, Nancy Walker, Christy Larsen, Mike Ellington, Lori Birch. Maren Peel – Friends of the Library Attendees welcome and meeting called to order by Vickie Richmond. Roll call was taken and verbally stated for the recording. Minutes approved. Director’s Report – Laurie Hanson Budget – It was necessary to shift some funds around to cover staff wages that ran high and the supplies budget. Money was shifted from travel and book purchases with $900 going into wages category and $1,000 into supplies. – It is time to put together budget for the next coming fiscal year. The preliminary budget should be in to the city by mid-April. Laurie will put something together to be reviewed at our Next meeting. ILS – Printers, scanners, paper has shipped and should be received by the library shortly. – A sample proof of the bar code should be received and approved today following which it will be approximately 5 days until they are received. Targeting the first or second full week of March to start the re-barcoding. – The state has approved an addendum which will cover the barcodes and staff to work on the process. There will be about 480 hours of wages to pay for additional help. – Costs so far are under budget. – Details between Mt Pleasant, Manti and Ephraim regarding courier service, priorities, etc. still need to be worked out. Once again the library has been ranked as a “Star Library” with the distinction of having been a “Star Library” for the last five years. This will most likely be the last year of this ranking as it was based on 2010 statistics. Newspaper Articles/Publicity – Laurie will forward letter regarding “Star Library” ranking to the papers for them to write an article about.
– Laurie mentioned she would like articles in about the archive room and the ILS project but hasn’t had time to write them. Vickie suggested she submit the information to the papers as bullet items and let them write them. It was noted that the Messenger writes them but the Pyramid prefers us to write them but would see if both would be willing to write them for us from information provided. Training Classes – Part of certification is offering education classes to the public. The staff is doing a training module to teach them to teach public classes. – Training on downloading books has been done one on one with patrons and one general class was offered but poorly attended. Suggestion was made to do device specific training – Nook, Kindle, etc. Dress Code – Discussion whether to allow jeans if part of an “outfit” on days other than Wednesday as has been the practice. We need to modify wording of current policy – it was decided to come prepared in March to discuss wording modification to allow appropriate jean outfits while maintaining professional appearance. New Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org this is a more “professional” address and will be routed to Laurie Friends & Book Sale – Katrina is resigning as head of the Friends. Maren was only recently made aware of this and will handle finding her replacement. – Arrangements are in place for a scout project, Friday from 1-5 for the scouts to scan the books and determine electronically what they can be sold for to ISBN. It will be left to the discretion of the Friends to determine what will be sold in this way and what will be kept for patron sales. – Books will also be sorted that will be donated to the prison and to the senior center. – There is currently a large collection of books that have been weeded out to be dealt with. Friends will deal with these as they deem most appropriate. Ongoing will be determined what is best to keep for community, etc. This will be easier when volume is more manageable – monthly, etc. – It was discussed that it would be nice to have additional input – possible from friends – from someone well read, on the weeded items so that classics aren’t lost from the collection. – It was discussed that with the new receipt printers it would be nice to offer a refrigerator magnet that could be used to keep their receipt handy and keep the library in mind. It was mentioned that Friends could do this as a fund raiser. Miscellaneous items – Discussed if it was a problem to have a “Mormon” collection section. Discussion followed that it was appropriate as a regional section to reflect the community. It was decided to rename it LDS fiction rather than “Mormon” Items for Next Board Meeting – Dress Policy – Reword present policy – Vickie will revise wording on computer use policy and bring for discussion/approval. Additional Business – Vickie brought up two Eagle Scout project currently in the works by Max Richmond and Noah Richmond. Max is working on a sign for the library. We need to approve wording. Noah is planning on doing 1-2 benches for the front of the library. Both will work up design plans that will compliment and maintain the style and look of the library building. These designs will be brought to the board for approval. – There has been additional flooding in the south east corner of the basement. This has caused some molding on the boards at the bottom of the book shelf. The board made a point to view this area inside and out. City will be contacted to see if the present diversion method was done after the most recent flooding. – Ice continues to be a problem on the north side of the building. Next Meeting – March 19, 2013 Adjourn – Almost on time.