Mt. Pleasant Public Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
May 20, 2014
Attendees: Laurie Hansen – Library Director, Mike Ellington, Christy Larsen, Rhonda Shewell, Maren Peel – Friends of the Library, Dave Oxman – Mt. Pleasant City
Minutes from April Meeting – Approved – motioned by Laurie Hansen, seconded by Rhonda Shewell
• Dave Oxman explained the new budget proposal and explained that there is $70,000 in retained earnings available for the library. The proposal is to use $12,500 in the budget this year. If this isn’t used and any future extra in our budget will still be retained for future use.
• CLEF money was used this year to finish updating the computers as part of the master plan to replace technology every 5 years. This will allow this next years CLEF to be used for collection development and free up additional budget money
• The goal is to be able to open additional hours. We would like to add 8 hours. The question is when. Do we add another full day or piece it out with one of the current ½ days. Mike Ellington suggested adding a full 8 hours on Friday. This would make consistent hours Tuesday – Friday and the same on Monday and Saturday.
• Laurie has concerns about purchasing items in bulk at Costco, WinCo, Sam’s Club etc. they are cheaper and save money but they don’t accept credit cards. Dave Oxman said that Laurie could be reimbursed immediately for expenditures at WinCo, Costco, etc. for the library so that Laurie isn’t left hanging for these expenditures.
• Laurie has found a way to get Photoshop and is looking to the schools for someone to teach it – maybe a student from Wasatch Academy, the High School or Snow. Dave Fulmer uses it and may be a resource. This is to be used with the new super computers Laurie got for the publics use.
Friends of the Library
• Discussion on 4th of July Book Sale – will they be doing it again this year – do we need to start gathering books. Friends will discuss this.
• Question was raised as to what the funds are used for that Friends raises. Funds are used for things that can be checked out – books, etc. Blinds and a table have been purchased in the past.
• Dave Oxman asked a question as to what are annual income/expenditures are. As this could be helpful in showing to other city leaders that the library is striving to use other resources for some of their expenditures. Maren will get this information from the treasurer of Friends
• Donations so far are about half of normal. They don’t want to use budget money for summer reading prizes, etc. Money goes through Friends of Library.
• Things are in gear for summer reading and they are ahead of the game. Activities will be next door.
• Helpers needed – also we can just stop in and see what’s going on.
• Prizes – we have two Kindles already, one was donated. Points from the company that supplies the toner were used for the second Kindle. These will be the two big prizes – others will pick a book for their prize.
• We need to find a time that Ann Deuel can meet with us. Laurie will check with her and her schedule to see what we can accommodate.
• Do we want to continue with the schedule of having July, August and December off? This was seen as a good thing to maintain unless there is a reason.
• Dynamic Integrations – the last time they came due to a hard drive crash resulted in the computer being wiped clean. Parker Earl is now with Dynamic Integrations. Can we get him?
• Library doesn’t have a server – everything is in the cloud.
• Back ups – Verso is backed up automatically. Personal computers – when are they backed up. This needs to be followed up on, a regular schedule for backups should be in place.
New Board Members
• We need at least one additional board member.
• Jim McGinnes was suggested – Dave mentioned it may be good. He is currently unemployed, has a lot of experience. This was motioned by Laurie Hansen – seconded by Christy Larsen. Laurie will invite him.
ULA Conference/Trustee Training
• Programs for all ages.
• Laurie will follow up with Dawn to learn the safety and security training Dawn attended.
• Treats provided – unless prepackaged does Laurie need to get a food handlers permit. She will follow up on.
• Pre packaged treats are more expensive
• New book club – Yesterday was the first time – 5 people came and are deciding what to do, read, etc. Laurie will check on State providing multiple books for the club.
• Laurie had a discussion with Mayor Blackham and Dave Oxman on revenues. Mayor is concerned about not taking in what we should be in card fees.
• Seniors 65+ currently get a free card. The proposal was made that we no longer do this. How many is this? Laurie is trying to get this information. This is tabled until June’s meeting when more information will be available.
Adjournment motioned at 9:37 by Laurie Hansen, seconded by Christy Larsen.
Next meeting will be June 17th. At that meeting we will motion to accept the proposed budget.