Mt. Pleasant Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting November 19, 2013 Attendees – Vicki Richmond – Board Chair, Laurie Hansen – Library Director, Mike Ellington, Nancy Walker, Lori Birch, Maren Peel, Christy Larsen Laurie may be gone for a while in the near future as her daughter is having a baby and is experiencing some difficulties. She may have to leave at the spur of the moment Minutes – last month were oral recording only – discussed if this was sufficient for future – decided to stick with written as well. Tape recording was not working today Library Journal – Library was recognized once again with the award. Congratulations. Budget • Money needs to be shuffled around a bit due to some categories needing some more and personnel funds not used right now. New city recorder – Jane Banks – being very supportive. Will meet to discuss procedures and transfer of money, etc. • Perhaps a staff spy phone app version 8 member to reconcile the budgets, etc to free Laurie up some more. New Staff Position • Advertisement attached – wants to go ahead with posting it in the paper Library Collaboration Program • Courier system working smoothly – between libraries. • Question of paying for library card. No solution yet. New idea for purchase within set boundaries – if in boundaries of a specific library must obtain card under the terms of the library in which they reside to be “in system”. Will see if they can get some cooperation between the libraries. Manti is subsidizing county residents. We can’t afford it. Preschool Story Time • Incident with a local training school – super phone spy special needs adults. Leader brought a group (5-6) to preschool story time (adults) disruptive to the story time. This was two weeks ago – came again last week (Leader – Tory) Tory came to discuss with Laurie – she became confrontational – made a scene that they weren’t wanted and took the group and left. Laurie has been doing research nationwide to see how programs are handled. One idea is to set age limits for pre-school story time. Another pption – create a family story time. Ephraim has them join their group. Laurie will
call Betsy in Ephraim to see how theirs works. Grants are available for out reach. Integration with preschool is not logical. Motion to set age limit of 0-6 for pre-school story time. Moved by Christy Larsen – Seconded by Vicki Richmond. It would be a good idea to make a community out reach for the special needs class and invite others (high school, etc.) to participate. Donation • Received from the Lubbers. Didn’t know how to handle this but was decided it could be used for worthwhile purpose of the library Brandon Aiken • A young man, from the community, who recently passed away – spent a lot of time at the library, great to help with whatever was needed in the library. He loved the library. It was a cell phone spy app safe place. He was here the day he passed away. Librarians want to go to the funeral. They would also like to do something in his name – after school program – grant. Something that will help kids like him. Thought to be given as to what we could do. Christmas Lights Festival • Colleen suggested the library sell food at this event. Food does not sell well due to the free cocoa and cookies. Lori Birch is in charge of the Youth City Council. The Youth City Council http://spycellphone24h.com/ will be selling scones. Discussed that library should not try to sell food at this event. Then maybe scones will sell better. This was agreed upon. Benches/Sign • These look great. This was an eagle scout project for Max and Noah Richmond. Lots of businesses and individuals donated materially to this project. It was a community effort. This essay would be good publicity for the library. Vicki will provide a picture of the scouts with sign. Laurie will get it in the paper. • Main street committee – Mayor Blackham, Monte, Steve Clark, & Laurie to approach the church spy on cell phone to acquire the property in front of the library. • It would be ideal if the Pioneer Heritage sign could be moved to another spot. It obscures the view of the library. Blinds and Drapes • Needed for the test proctoring areas and the downstairs library. It gets creepy at night. The library is utilized quite a bit for test proctoring. Patrons come from other areas as our set up is more effective. Shades might be a nice option as they would roll up out of the way. Could we use the $100 donation from the Lubbers towards the purchase of the window coverings? Options will be pursued Friends of the library • Clarification needed as to who will remove the items not sold also the cash box needs to be emptied. Maren will remove the stuff and will talk to Katheryn Applegarth about collecting the money on a regular basis. Computers • Three computes are failing – the directors and circulation station computers are over 5 years old. • Sean Rawlinson – Dynamic Integration – we are paying for support. They are not responsive. Talk to Adam English about the support we are not getting. If response is not improved explore other options. • Laurie will come up with a proposal as to getting funds for the computer – support ($200/mo.) Library is again certified. Monday opening is working well. Comments are good and positive. It would be great to expand the hours further. There will be no meeting in December. The next meeting will be January 21, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. It was moved that we adjourn at 9:55 – Vicki, seconded – Christy Meeting Adjourned.