- PLEASANT PUBLIC LIBRARY: INTERNET & ONLINE ACCESS POLICY – April 19, 2016
The intent of the Mt. Pleasant Public Library Internet & Online Access Policy is to meet and comply with the provisions of Utah Code, Sections 9-7-213: Rulemaking, 9-7-215: Internet & Online Access Policy Required, 9-7-216: Process & Content Standards for Policy and Administrative Rule R458-2: Public Library Online Access for Eligibility to Receive Public Funds. This also serves to provide guidelines for patrons and staff regarding Internet and online computer usage. This policy, which supersedes all previous policies, was written under the direction of the Mt. Pleasant Public Library Board of Trustees, discussed and adopted in an open meeting of the Library Board on April 19, 2016 and will be reviewed by the Library Board at least every three years. The Mt. Pleasant Public Library has in place a policy of Internet safety for minors, including the operation of a technology protection measure, hereafter called “filtering software”, on any publicly accessible computer with Internet access. This protects against visual depictions that are child pornography, materials harmful to minors or obscene. Mt. Pleasant Public Library uses iBoss for this filtering purpose. Further definitions and explanations of this policy can be found in Utah Administrative Code:
- “Child pornography”: Section 76 5b Part 1, Section 103.
- “Harmful to minors”: Section 76-10-1201
- “Obscene”: 20 USC Sec 9101
Authorized library staff may disable a technology protection measure at the request of an adult patron to enable Internet access, appropriate for a public setting, for research or other lawful purposes. The Library does not guarantee the filtering software will be 100% effective. Failure to use the internet stations appropriately
and responsibly may result in revocation of Internet use privileges. The Library board has established procedures and guidelines to handle complaints about this policy, enforcement of this policy by Library staff and what a patron should do if they observe inappropriate behavior by another library patron. These procedures and guidelines will be adhered to by Library staff to enforce the requirements of Sections 9-7-215 and 9-7-216 UCA. Patron’s computer use sessions are 30 minutes if other patrons are waiting to use a computer. Use is unlimited if there are no patrons waiting and the patron is not disturbing other patrons. There is no charge for patrons to use Library computers. Wireless access is also free and is filtered by the same process as wired connections. Wireless service is password protected, and the password can be obtained from Library staff. The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety, security, or damage incurred on patron’s personal devices or files while using Library computer equipment or wireless signal. Patrons of our Internet service agree they:
- Will comply with the Library’s “Internet & Online Access Policy” and “Computer Rules of Use,” (such as sign-ins, time limits, printing charges, etc.)
- Will accept responsibility for evaluating content found on the Internet. Staff cannot control the availability or accuracy of information links to external networks. Patrons use the Internet at their own risk.
- Will take responsibility for the websites and content their children encounter on the Internet. Our Internet protection measures are not perfect, and though unlikely, some inappropriate content could appear. Parents are encouraged to work closely with and supervise their children to ensure that children’s use of Internet resources is consistent with their family values.
- Will respect laws for copyright protected materials, intellectual property and other prohibited activities, such as downloading music. Any responsibility for consequences arising from copyright infringement or any other illegal use lies with the user.
- Will not knowingly display content that is pornography of any kind, deemed harmful to minors or obscene
- Will not save copies of documents or links to webpages on Library computers, nor download software. Patron privacy may be breached and longevity of files is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage patrons to use alternative ways to preserve information, such as the use of cloud storage, saving data on a USB device or attaching the document to an email and sending it to themselves.
- Will logout of any personal account accessed for social media, games and commercial accounts at the close of their Internet session
- May use the Internet for the following purposes, including but not limited to:
- Research: academics and personal knowledge, genealogy, college test preparation
- Personal living: medical queries and insurance arrangements, resumes, job searches and preparation, accessing community or government assistance
- Communication: Facebook, email, instant messaging and other social media, sharing of pictures, such as Flickr or Tumblr, video conferencing, such as Skype or FaceTime (conducted in an isolated room)
- Online games: for educational or entertainment purposes, excluding games with inappropriate content or are excessively violent
- Commercial: shopping & ordering online, booking flights & hotels
- Will NOT use the Internet for the following purposes, including but not limited to:
- Gambling or any other Illegal, unethical or criminal purpose
- Accessing anything of pornographic nature, harmful to minors or obscene
- Streaming movies, except for short video clips
- Altering computer settings, installing personal software, disabling filter
A copy of this revised policy is on file at the Utah State Library Division, as required by Administrative Rule: R458.2. Patrons can view Library policies at the circulation desk and on the Library website: mtpleasantlib.org. These policies include, but are not limited to: “Internet & Online Access Policy”, “Computer and Library Rules of Use”, and “Patron Registration”. A notice of the availability of this Internet & Online Access Policy is posted in a conspicuous place within the library for all patrons to observe. Mike Ellington: Library Board Chair: ___________________________________________________ Laurie Hansen: Library Director: ______________________________________________________ Adopted:
- June 12, 2007,
- 1st Review: June 17, 2010
- 2nd Review: April 21, 2013
- 3rd Review: April 19, 2016
- Next review date: April 2019